California Animal Specialty and Emergency (CASE) has earned distinction in advanced patient care with the introduction of our Anesthesia Department, led by our board-certified Anesthesiologist Dr. Juliana Figueiredo MV, MS, DACVAA.
Along with her highly trained team, our Anesthesia Department brings a relatively rare level of care to our facility. The anesthesia team works with our other specialty departments to completely understand your pet’s medical history and condition and provide the safest anesthesia and pain-management care for our patients.
Veterinary anesthesiologists undergo advanced specialty training and have access to a wide selection of drugs and state-of-the-art equipment and techniques and strategies to provide the safest anesthesia possible and optimize pain control before, during, and after surgery.
The anesthesiologist routinely performs a thorough physical exam on each patient, reviews pre-existing conditions, and may prescribe specific tests to assess the patient’s anesthetic risk and develop the safest anesthetic protocol in preparation for routine and complex procedures. Proper anesthesia planning and close monitoring allow the anesthesiology team to promptly intervene and minimize the risk of anesthesia-related complications, particularly in pediatric, geriatric, and critical patients. Whether your pet is healthy or ill, they will be monitored continuously throughout the anesthetic period and during recovery to minimize the risk of complications. Optimal post-operative pain management is one of the crucial goals of the anesthesia team.
Services provided by the anesthesia department include but are not limited to:
- Anesthetic risk assessment
- Patient-specific anesthetic plan
- Anesthesia induction and maintenance
- Mechanical ventilation
- Anesthesia monitoring such as pulse oximetry, capnography, non-invasive and Invasive blood pressure monitoring, ECG, temperature, plethysmographic variability index etc.
Advanced pain management strategies:
- Epidural anesthesia
- Ultrasound-guided nerve blocks with local anesthetics
- Continuous targeted intravenous infusion of analgesic drug combinations
- Advanced post-operative patient care and pain management
Dr. Juliana Figueiredo
MV, MS, DACVAA